We are shooting straight regarding San Diego kitchen remodels in 2020:
- The 2020 Kitchen Remodel Will Be In 2021
- The option of Refacing cabinets, abandoned
- Proper use of a design-build firm
We know, and you're right! The year has been challenging and hard enough without remodel delays.
But we're not going to lie to you. In this article, we'll share the top three areas where you should prepare!
Read on to prepare for your San Diego kitchen remodel fully grounded in reality!
The 2020 Kitchen Remodel Will Be In 2021
Planning & Design
Our design team will eliminate the clutter by clearing your path and guiding you through design options, layout, selections, colors, and interior decorating decisions. But every quality process takes time, and it's normal for a full kitchen design process to take several weeks; usually between four and eight weeks.
Construction documents and permitting
We, the Teknik team and home owner lean on each other to expedite what we can. But the party remaining outside of our control is the city. Whether we are pulling a permit in the City of Carlsbad, City of Encinitas, City of San Diego, or Del Mar, each office has been understaffed due to social distancing restrictions, and back-logged due to increased numbers of remodels.
Permits are currently taking several weeks longer than usual, which will impact your projects' start date.
The saving grace! When you've gone through our process fully, you'll be prepared for every aspect of your remodel from demolition to finishes and the punch list! If permitting was the bad news, then construction is the good news because 75% of Teknik projects are completed on time or early. Multiple times per week, you will receive real-time updates on your smart phone. These updated will include daily logs, progress photos, comments, requests for information (RFI's), and answers to all your questions.
Are you looking for a firm who can provide thorough documentation of your project, especially when you're not home? Ask about our client-facing project profile software today!
Take It From Our Happy Customers
"Kevin had the work done as if it were his own house and the project was completed before the contractual completion date." - Jack B., San Diego, CA
“This is our second remodel with Kevin. Once again, done on TIME! Great job! Just sorry we’re out of bathrooms! 🙂 He’s on speed dial in case we have another project.” - Gary G., Encinitas
“Kevin told me to allow 25 days and it was done in just over two weeks.” - Gina H., San Diego, CA
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!
Proper Use of the Design-Build Firm
Setting the stage:
The abbreviated name for our industry is A/E/C which stands for Architecture, Engineering and construction. You may also hear people refer to it as the construction industry or remodeling industry.
That being said, all good people in the A/E/C industry are seeking to increase their reach, serve more clients, and build their businesses. Nothing wrong with that.
As the home owner, you are seeking, presumably, to achieve a few things.
- First, you want the job done correctly the first time and you want excellent craftsmanship in every trade.
- Secondly, you'd like help finding the finishes that YOU want based on YOUR taste and budget. You want to avoid the extremes of putting lipstick on a pig, or gold-plating your kitchen, bathroom, etc.
- Thirdly, you want a firm who is forthright and respectful of your target budget, helping you to stay as close to it as possible, without compromising the integrity of your design. No surprise change orders, no "Sorry that wasn't included in the contract."
So, back to the A/E/C industry! Here are just some of the firms you can find on Houzz.com or HomeAdvisor.com who will be vying for your business:
- A design firm--these companies may include any combination of architects, engineers, drafters, hand rendering or 3D designers, interior designers, or interior decorators. They have wonderful ideas, but they've rarely estimated or built so much as a dog house, so beware of the risk. "Oops, this is a $150K kitchen but our budget is $85K. Let's start over...but we just paid you $8K for designs."
- Estimators--these companies may include a hodge-podge of folks with varying levels of experience. They want the plans produced by the design firm above, and they'll try to estimate your plans for a small fee so that when you put it out for bids, you have a baseline.
- An installer--these guys hold a general contractor's license but they are stripped down to laborers and managers only. Not full service, lots of change orders.
- Project Management firm--these guys hire a general contractor who will manage your project and they charge you an extra fee to manage the general...redundancy is a waste of your budget.
- A "paper" design-build firm--these guys do your design, estimating, administration and project management, but hire out 100% of the work to subcontractors. You've got little control over each subcontractor's work quality, time management and you're spending extra money to have a tribe of business owners all running their own show and charging their own markup.
Hands down, the best of the A/E/C industry is wrapped up in a classy design-build firm. They are a one-stop-shop but here's the key; they are incentivized to be competitive and not add additional services just for fluff. You can always take your business somewhere else, right?! They've got their own employees who will be the ones who keep your jobsite safe and clean on a daily basis.
Why Choose Teknik for Your Kitchen Remodel?
Let us be your guide as you strive to avoid the blunders that make our industry look bad. When you work with us, we help you avoid:
Still apprehensive about calling? You'll be 100% protected with our Spoiled Rotten Customer Guarantee.
Step 1: Dream Design
We’ll collaborate with you to transform your dark and outdated space into bright and inviting space. It all starts with your free consultation so book now!
Step 2: True Quote
You can trust our service agreement! We get to know your home intimately before working on it to ensure we stick to budget with no change orders.
Step 3: Complete On-Time
We'll make your dream come true and do it on-time and on budget! Then it's party time! Perhaps leave out your friends who get jealous easily.
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!