Hey, if you’re a San Diego homeowner and wondering where to start with your medium sized bathroom remodel, check out a few of these hot topics!
- what determines tile quality and cost?
- how long will my medium bathroom remodel take?
- medium 5' x 10' bathroom remodel - discount for two?
- single vanity is here now. Can we install a double vanity?
We love bathrooms as much as you do but we know that it's not the only thing on your to-do list.
There may be a few more decisions that come with a bathroom remodel, but don’t worry.
You’re in the perfect place!
In this article, we will answer these four your questions so you can make a great decision about your bathroom for you and your family.
What Determines Tile Quality and Cost?
If we're talking tile quality, look for
- Good - ceramic. Ceramic tiles are basically baked clay, they chip easily because they are brittle. Not a good durable option. Flippers use ceramic tile often because of the attractive price point.
- Better - Porcelain. Porcelain is probably the 80% of the 80/20 rule. Most families can find a wonderful porcelain tile option most of the time.
- Brand/origin advice: The best porcelain in the world comes out of Italy. The second best comes out of Spain. If you buy from either of these places, you've got a pretty good shot at really liking your tile.
- Best - stone. Of course, real stone will be the most durable but it also comes with a cost that reflects that durability. The cost of mining, manufacturing, cutting, and sanding to the desired finish is high. Some stone tiles can cost $150 per square foot, and many most more than that.
You may think that durability is the primary concern when looking at tile options, but unfortunately you need to worry about uniformity too.
There are knock-off versions of every product known to man but the devil is in the details. If you hire the BEST tile setter in the state and give him a box of cheap tile, you may have to:
- Throw away up to 50% of the tile before use
- Spend extra labor to trim tile that is not uniform
- End up with asymmetrical tile lay patterns after all that extra headache.
You're buying tile so infrequently anyway...save yourself! Buy once, buy right.
How Long Will my Medium Bathroom Remodel Take?
The individuality of each bathroom cannot be overstated.
At the same time, most contractors will be able to tell you which elements of your scope are common across most projects, and which are unique to you.
As a general rule of thumb, the bulk of your bathroom remodel could occur inside of 3 to 8 weeks.
After most of the work is complete, tile can begin which takes the longest of any phase.
After, and only after the tile is complete can your bathroom be measured for the custom glass shower enclosure, if that is a feature you've selected. The fabrication and install of this glass may take up to 10 business days.
Medium 5' x 10' Bathroom Remodel - Discount for Two?
There is not a way to reduce the minimum skeleton cost of a remodel per se, but we love where you're going with this!
But where there is a will, there is a way. Here's what we can do.
If there is an opportunity to serve your family by remodeling two or more rooms simultaneously, then you'd save on the overall cost of your project by incurring only one set of the following costs instead of two:
- Admin costs
- Design, architecture, and engineering costs
- Superintendent & job set up costs
Give us a call if you have questions about your specific bathrooms or multiple project phases to see about the options available to you.
Medium 5' x 10' Bathroom - Single or Double Vanity?
Most 5' x 10' remodels have a single vanity by default. If the bathroom is being used by a couple, or a couple of kiddos, then a dual vanity makes sense to maximize the space.
Here are a few options that would allow you to have the best of both worlds:
- Purchase a prefabricated vanity to save money, but double your sinks
- Purchase a prefabricated vanity topper along with it, and even throw in the sinks too!
- Vanities are built at different depths, so if you are worried about a too-narrow walking space, this is a great option.
We are sometimes asked if the toilet can be moved in order to make more room for the larger vanity.
Sometimes this is possible, but it depends largely on the floor joists and the plumbing required.
All of our home owners in the last three years have decided against this option.
Take It From Our Happy Customers
"Kevin had the work done as if it were his own house and the project was completed before the contractual completion date." - Jack B., San Diego, CA
“This is our second remodel with Kevin. Once again, done on TIME! Great job! Just sorry we’re out of bathrooms! 🙂 He’s on speed dial in case we have another project.” - Gary G., Encinitas
“Kevin told me to allow 25 days and it was done in just over two weeks.” - Gina H., San Diego, CA
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!
The Allowance Rules for Your Medium Bathroom
Your budget is important to establish, but what is included in your budget?
There is a portion of your budget that will be assigned to your contract amount, that includes rough-in and finish labor and the rough-in materials.
But what is missing from this list?
Finish materials are missing, but why? It is common for San Diego contractors to save you costs by:
- helping you select your finish materials
- allowing you to use their discounts and preferred vendors
- helping you to avoid paying additional markup that would result from them purchasing your materials and reselling them to you
This category of materials may include
- finish plumbing
Bottom line? Make sure you include the contract price and finish materials in your bottom line.
Why choose Teknik for Your 5' x 10' Bathroom Remodel?
There is something to be said for finishing a beautiful project.
But it's truly another thing altogether to finish it quickly. And your time is worth more than anything else. Your time is our priority. That is why we have spent 20 years mastering the process of avoiding these three industry blunders:
Still Nervous? You'll be 100% protected with our Spoiled Rotten Customer Guarantee!
Step 1: Dream Design
We’ll collaborate with you to transform your dark and outdated space into bright and inviting space. It all starts with your free consultation so book now!
Step 2: True Quote
You can trust our service agreement! We get to know your home intimately before working on it to ensure we stick to budget with no change orders.
Step 3: Complete On-Time
We'll make your dream come true and do it on-time and on budget! Then it's party time! Perhaps leave out your friends who get jealous easily.
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!