So you love your home. It has treated you well and you're happy to stay for the foreseeable future.
BUT those bathrooms get so much use and you've been feeling like you should remodel them eventually. You are here because you're feeling that the time is approaching and you want to learn all that you can!
If you are like many San Diego home owners, your bathrooms need an update--nothing too extravagant but you want quality materials and finishes so that the design and function both last for many years to come. Here are some common bathroom questions we hear:
- how long does does it take to remodel a bathroom?
- how much does it cost to remodel a bathroom? A guest bathroom? A master bathroom? A Jack and Jill bathroom?
- how can I influence the cost of my project?
- how can I accurately assess which contractor I should work with?
- how do I know if I'm getting quality products installed in my home?
Yikes. So many questions and so little time. We can relate! In this article, we will address the top seven big picture issues surrounding San Diego bathroom remodels so you can feel clear and organized as you decide how to proceed.
#1 Using Home Advisor Resources
HomeAdvisor.com is a wonderful resource for San Diego home owners. Their catch phrase is "Don't Overpay, Compare Pros!" This has lead some readers to believe that they will be able to see how much their project may cost, right there on their screen, before they have to interact with any contractors. Nope!
The method that homeadvisor.com uses so you can compare pros is to have you fill out their form by answering basic questions about the work you'd like done so they can share your information with four different contractors.
Each of the four then has the opportunity to reach out to you, and you can work with each to go through their estimating process. For helpful info on the estimating process and how to save yourself some heartache, see tip #3 and tip #4.
#2 Using Houzz.com Ideabooks for your Bathroom Materials
Here at Teknik, we love having our clients save time during the design and construction process by gaining clarity using the Houzz.com Ideabook feature.
- Create a Houzz.com account.
- Hover over the "My Account" button on the top-right of your screen
- Click on My Ideabooks
- Create a new one and choose a name
Finally, use the search bar to find photos that you love! You may find your tile, plumbing, flooring, and light fixtures. Ensure that you make notes under each photo to specify which features you've noticed in each photo. When you select your contractor, you can share it with them on houzz.com and eliminate 4000 to 8000 words from your discussion process 🙂 Preserve your energy. What a WIN!
#3 Preparation | What to do Before You Schedule Anyone
The site visit is no substitution for doing your due diligence online. By the time you schedule your site visit you have already verified that each contractor:
- Is licensed, bonded, and ensured. Verify here https://www.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CheckLicense.aspx
- Is in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. Verify here http://bbb.com/
- Is currently engaged in other projects in the community. Verify on their website or social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, and Houzz. Remember, most contractors are pretty small businesses, so it's okay if there aren't lots of recent updates. You just want to make sure they have been active!
- Is receiving a good proportion of recent 5-star reviews. Are they leaving their clients satisfied customers or raving fans? Are they being invited back to complete a second or third project?
#4 Navigating Your Bathroom Remodel Site Visits
The primary purpose of a site visit is to build friendship and trust. The content of the conversation will include project details, but the substance of the conversation is to see if a relationship can be built.
It is only after you have grown somewhat comfortable that you will share your budget or inquiries about special customization. If you connect well, and share ideas easily, then you are on your way to uncovering if it makes sense to partner up on your remodeling project.
#5 Selecting the Right Contractor | Process Overview
Living on The Other Guy's Timeline
- Call 3 to 5 contractors
- Schedule as many as 5 site visits
- Get an estimate from each
- Compare each and select your contractor--the nice guy who doesn't have the cheapest price or the most expensive one.
- Hope for no change orders
- Hope for no delays or surprises
Living on The Teknik Timeline
- Call 3 to 5 contractors
- Intentionally qualify each over the phone considering character, integrity, experience, and follow-up.
- Schedule a site visit with only your top 2 and get a ballpark range from each.
- Select your contractor
- Follow the process to collaborate on a design, layout, and scope that you love. This collaboration will produce your detailed estimate, or Teknik True Quote. Yes, this price will fall within the initial ballpark, unless the scope is increased.
- Complete your project on time!
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!
#6 San Diego Bathroom Remodel Budget
Popular websites on which homeowners answer "How much did you pay?" questions provide visitors with the average amount that home owners report to have spent.
But there's a catch. The average includes what homeowners have been reporting for twenty years, which brings the average so low it doesn't answer the nagging question for a 2020 bathroom remodel.
A better resource can be downloaded as a PDF here: https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2019/pacific/san-diego-ca/
The Cost Vs. Value PDF will show you both mid-range and high-end averages that homeowners are spending in these geographic areas:
- United States
- State of California
- County of San Diego
Using 2019 as a point of reference, remember that many materials increase in price between 3% and 8% per year.
#7 Selecting Your Finish Materials
"Finish materials" is a category that includes any materials installed after the drywall and painting are complete. The most common types of finish materials for San Diego bathroom remodels are:
- Plumbing trim & fixtures
- Light/Electrical fixtures
- Vanity & vanity top
- Tile materials - including shower walls, shower pan, shampoo niche, and bathroom floor, including tile baseboard
- Flooring materials - many wood-style laminate flooring options are durable, waterproof, and they provide a budget friendly alternative to tile
#8 BONUS! Length of San Diego Bathroom Remodels
Every project is different, but here is what our experience tells us:
- small to medium San Diego bathroom remodels typically take 4 to 6 weeks
- large or extra large San Diego bathroom remodel can take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks
The key to a tight timeline is organization. An hour of planning DOES save a days' work. Many project delays are due to:
- poor labor planning; pulling crews off of projects prematurely
- missing materials; due to starting a project prematurely, i.e. they are missing rough plumbing parts but they've already demolished your bathroom. Bad news.
Why so long? The last step is usually the custom glass enclosure which cannot be measured until the tile is complete. The fabrication and install takes about 10 business days, so you'll be 99% complete while you wait on your glass for the last two weeks.
Take It From Our Happy Customers
"We wanted our master bedroom and bath to be a sanctuary in our house...After entertaining a few consultations with other companies, we knew the answer; it's Teknik for sure - their responsiveness, their heart, their design ideas. The whole experience was stress-free and actually fun! - Jim S., San Diego, CA
“This is our second remodel with Kevin. Once again, done on TIME! Great job! Just sorry we’re out of bathrooms! 🙂 He’s on speed dial in case we have another project.” - Gary G., Encinitas
“Kevin told me to allow 25 days and it was done in just over two weeks.” - Gina H., San Diego, CA
Why choose Teknik for Your San Diego Bathroom Remodel?
The projects with the most glory and the coolest project photos are the kitchens, whole house remodels, and new homes.
We love remodeling bathrooms because of how much these remodels improve efficiency and peace of mind in the lives of busy professionals and families. Your new bathroom will improve your daily routines more than any other room in the house, outside of your kitchen.
It will be beautiful, well lit, and easy to clean. Call today and let us prove that we've mastered how to avoid:
Step 1: Dream Design
We’ll collaborate with you to transform your dark and outdated space into bright and inviting space. It all starts with your free consultation so book now!
Step 2: True Quote
You can trust our service agreement! We get to know your home intimately before working on it to ensure we stick to budget with no change orders.
Step 3: Complete On-Time
We'll make your dream come true and do it on-time and on budget! Then it's party time! Perhaps leave out your friends who get jealous easily.
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!