Hey, if you’re a San Diego homeowner and wondering how you should be making decisions about your 2020 bathroom remodel in light of COVID-19, we know these questions may be at the top of your mind:
- how can I make sure I get the highest quality?
- what if I can be flexible with my project schedule?
- I don't want to compromise on quality - what should I focus on?
- running a project myself; is this a viable option to save money?
Man, we know how it feels to be recovering your rhythm from self-isolation, being in quarantine, and being #TogetherApart. We know you need to move forward with fixing what is broken in your home, yet appropriately, you are still be concerned for family, friends, and loved ones who are on the front lines, helping to battle the spread of the Coronavirus.
Don’t worry. You’re in the perfect place! First, breath. You don't need to rush. There is plenty of time.
In this article, we’ll answer these four questions so you can make a great decision about your 2020 bathroom remodel for you and your family.
How Can I Make Sure I Get The Highest Quality?
It will be tempting to save money on tile, but know that you should be aware of how different types of tile may affect your cost in specific ways.
Different tile types withstand different levels of force.
- Ceramic tile is the most brittle since it is essentially baked clay. It can be more affordable but you'll pay for it in lack of durability.
- Porcelain tile is the most common to be purchased and installed in homes in San Diego. Italy and Spain produce most of the world's porcelain tile and the product is both beautiful and durable. Italy takes first place in this competition!
- Stone tile is a premium option and the beauty shows through. If you're concerned that it might be too pricey, consider that your bathroom might be the smallest room in the house, which would keep your quantity down!
- Glass tile is a stylish option. It can be more challenging to cut so you may need more tile and you may need to consider additional labor to account for tedious cutting.
What Happens If I Can Be Flexible With My Project Schedule?
There are many factors that impact the relevance of this question. Eighty percent of the time, the flexibility of your schedule will not impact anything. But 20% of the time, you may have a situation that allows the contractor to work with you on price based on your availability.
Why might this happen in 20% of cases? You might have the option to be out of the house which can positively affect efficiency. You might have the option to extend the project timeline and save money by using all in-house labor and no subs; an option not available in rushed scenarios
I Don't Want To Compromise On Quality - What Should I Focus On?
You've got to choose the right company and that company will help you to choose the right materials.
Focus on the following items to ensure you keep your priorities straight:
- Choose to interview contractors in detail over the phone so you save time on site visits
- Get two to three general ballpark ranges so that you know what your cost range will be.
- Based on the general ballpark, choose to work with only one contractor on getting into the nitty gritty details of design, layout, selections, and scope increases if desired.
- Ask the contractor to actively give you feedback in real time, if you have a tight budget, when you are selecting materials that might entail excessive labor.
Running A Project Myself; Is This A Viable Option To Save Money?
Families do not always ask this question out loud...but it is often running across their mind. "Can we just run this project ourselves?"...the answer is unequivocally NO...IF you want your project to run smoothly of course.
Do you want an average or excellent surgeon to operate? Perhaps an average teacher for your kids? How about an average mechanic? We know that 10% of challenges cause 90% of our headaches in any area of life. Opening up one or more rooms in your house is complex and putting it back together requires finesse. That last 10% matters. Choosing a professional contractor is not mandatory and it's not optional.
You can decide for yourself. You can only have the results of hiring a professional if you hire a professional.
Take It From Our Happy Customers
"Kevin had the work done as if it were his own house and the project was completed before the contractual completion date." - Jack B., San Diego, CA
“This is our second remodel with Kevin. Once again, done on TIME! Great job! Just sorry we’re out of bathrooms! 🙂 He’s on speed dial in case we have another project.” - Gary G., Encinitas
“Kevin told me to allow 25 days and it was done in just over two weeks.” - Gina H., San Diego, CA
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!
Style Notes On San Diego 2020 Remodels
White subway tile are still a classic look!
- White grout in the kitchen makes for a clean look...but...
- Never use white grout in the bathroom since excess steam can call long term mold that is difficult to clean out of bathroom grout.
White shaker style doors are gorgeous. They are a classic choice. You can customize choices like:
- cabinet pulls
- face panels
- and more!
If you want a bright kitchen or bathroom, the white shaker style will not let you down.
Why choose Teknik for Your 2020 Bathroom Remodel?
Look, not every phone call, conversation and interaction is about closing a sale.
Call our office if you have questions. Call us if you're wondering about a few ideas. Call us if you're tired of reading and scrolling and would like to chat with a real San Diegan about your home!
The point is, you don't have to feel ready to start a remodel process to have a phone call. We have lots of free resources and we would love to be of service to you weather you're wishing we could start yesterday or just kicking tires and checking things out.
If you'd like to know more about our process, we'll share with you how we've avoided these industry stereotypes for two decades and counting:
What Is The Perfect Remodel Process?
Step 1: Dream Design
We’ll collaborate with you to transform your dark and outdated space into bright and inviting space. It all starts with your free consultation so book now!
Step 2: True Quote
You can trust our service agreement! We get to know your home intimately before working on it to ensure we stick to budget with no change orders.
Step 3: Complete On-Time
We'll make your dream come true and do it on-time and on budget! Then it's party time! Perhaps leave out your friends who get jealous easily.
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!