If you're one of the millions of San Diego home owners pricing out your bathroom remodel because you've been home so much more, you're in the right place!
Most San Diego home owners start in the information-gathering stage. Once they feel they have a lay of the land, they are ready to begin talking with trust contractors to start getting estimates.
Whether you are kicking tires or ready to start, these five must-have's are for you!
- Do the work in one shot
- Choose only one company
- Do not hot mop
- Install dual shower heads
- Install a towel warmer
- BONUS tip!
1. Do It In One Shot
If you're busy, you might think:
- "I'll convert the tub/shower to a walk-in shower this summer".
- "I'll replace the sink, vanity, and faucet on my next long weekend".
- "I'll find the best deal I can on a really quality toilet and buy it during a black Friday sale".
- "I'll just paint and finish the trim when I can get around to it".
Can we help you out? This is a great way to never finish your bathroom.
We see it all the time. You think it will be quick, but everything takes four times to five times longer than you think it will, and that's without any major issues.
The best way to save time on your bathroom remodel is to choose a reputable company and let them do what they do. Once you've chosen them, you will have access to their resources, discounts, design, planning team, and apps.
Most importantly, you should have a single point of contact for your entire project who will ensure that the work is completed efficiently, and for the cost you agreed on.
We humans get a dopamine rush when we finish a task. Do you really want to rob yourself of the joy of completion?
2. Only Use One Company
If you are bored, retired early, and have extra money lying around then this section is not for you. Please move on to the next paragraph, "3. Use Modern Waterproofing Techniques".
If however, you are in the world of getting the job done right the first time, do not attempt to break up your project and give each portion to the lowest bidder.
If you think about it, this behavior is based on the following:
- "I want to save money by finding the least expensive tradesman from each trade. I will give him the work."
- "I want to save money by managing the project myself. This way I wont pay a general contractor to run the job."
- "I want to know all the hard costs so I don't pay any hidden fees. I will not pay a markup on anything."
These are fine ideas and may stem from intentions to be a good steward of resources.
Unfortunately they are misguided ideas. There is a lot of expertise that comes with full-time remodeling when you do it for a living. That expertise springs into action on your behalf when things go awry. And in remodeling, things always go awry.
You can imagine the difference between a five year/ten year do-it-yourself-er and someone with 10,000, 20,000, or even 40,000 hours of remodeling experience.
The ownership team of Teknik has over 20 years of full time experience, totaling over 40,000 hours.
3. Use Modern Waterproofing Techniques
For decades the traditional method of waterproofing a shower pan was the "hot mop" technique.
The process of hot mopping is essentially painting hot tar over the shower pan area. Once it dries there the tar is waterproof and will supposedly prevent leading for decades.
This method however is:
- Outdated, there have been better options available for many years.
- It smells terrible for a few days after application.
- The tile installer cannot begin right away, but must wait a day or two for it to fully cure.
- There is no warranty. Eventually it dries out, becomes brittle. Finally it cracks which leads to the dreaded leak that you can't detect until it is too late.
There are several less toxic methods of waterproofing. They also happen to be more efficient, therefore they tend to shave time off of the overall project length.
Call today to find out more about our waterproofing, or visit https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/ for some ideas and photos. Need a lifetime warranty? No problem.
4. Install Dual Shower Heads
If you get dual shower heads installed, you'll put yourself in a great position to experience the following:
- Increased resale value, you deserve to get the most out of your investment!
- A smooth morning routine, all successful people have mastered their mornings!
- Your preferred water flow!... one partner prefers rain fall which is always a low-pressure flow. The other partner often prefers a traditional shower head that allows more water pressure.
The feedback that we get from our families is that even if you use it 40% of the time, it will still be worth it. Often they report that they can't believe how much more frequently they use it, compared to what they expected.
Love to do activities together? Dual shower heads are the answer for:
- Getting cleaned up to go out to dinner...no need to be late for those reservations!
- Returning from the gym together, get cleaned up and get on with your day!
- Returning from a trip to the beach together, you do NOT need to track sand all over the house while you wait for the shower
And there you have it. Six reasons to choose dual shower heads.
Take It From Our Happy Customers
"Kevin had the work done as if it were his own house and the project was completed before the contractual completion date." - Jack B., San Diego, CA
“This is our second remodel with Kevin. Once again, done on TIME! Great job! Just sorry we’re out of bathrooms! 🙂 He’s on speed dial in case we have another project.” - Gary G., Encinitas
“Kevin told me to allow 25 days and it was done in just over two weeks.” - Gina H., San Diego, CA
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!
5. Towel Warmer
The smell of coffee in the morning.
The chirping birds in spring time.
The quiet cool air wafting into your bedroom on a Saturday with nowhere to be.
Turning the shower off and reaching for your WARM towel. Ahhh, there's nothing quite like it...gives you goosebumps!
If you're sinking thousands of dollars into your bathroom updates, make sure you add a towel warmer to the electrical and fixture list. The opening cost range for a towel warmer is $200 to $500.
Don't make this optional.
6. A Crank Open Window With Privacy Glass
Natural light, fresh air and quick steam evacuation are three top reasons that home owners love having a bathroom window that opens. Unfortunately many guest or hallway bathrooms have just a small fixed window.
If you have the budget, consider re-framing the opening for a larger window that will allow:
- More air flow.
- Increased natural light.
- Total privacy despite the larger window, providing you use privacy glass.
Worried about the privacy when your slider window is open? Select a crank-open window instead. All fixed!
Why choose Teknik for Your San Diego Bathroom Remodel?
No exaggeration, there are thousands of remodeling companies in San Diego that could remodel your bathroom for you.
So why choose us? Well, if you think it's frustrating to have a kitchen remodel run long, imagine how annoying it is to have such a small project that your contractor refuses to prioritize...
The devil really is in the details. In the world of regular contractors, the smaller your project, the more likely you are to get pushed out on their schedule if they feel like there are other projects more "worth the time".
Basically, this communicates that unless you're spending a certain large sum of money, your project is going to serve as a filler for when they have time between larger projects.
Don't be one of these cases. Don't choose a regular contractor. Choose a contractor who will prioritize you!
Here are the industry blunders that families avoid when they choose Teknik Design & Remodeling:
Step 1: Dream Design
We’ll collaborate with you to transform your dark and outdated space into bright and inviting space. It all starts with your free consultation so book now!
Step 2: True Quote
You can trust our service agreement! We get to know your home intimately before working on it to ensure we stick to budget with no change orders.
Step 3: Complete On-Time
We'll make your dream come true and do it on-time and on budget! Then it's party time! Perhaps leave out your friends who get jealous easily.
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!