There is a long list of traits you may want to avoid in a contractor. Valuing your time, you'll avoid contractors who have a reputation of being late or regularly no-showing.
Valuing your peace of mind, you'll avoid remodelers who don't communicate promptly. But this article flips the script; in this article you'll gain insight into what never to do to your contractor and why.
Ever heard someone say these things?
- "I need to schedule someone to come out and give me a quote". Never ask them to give you a free bid
- "I need you to come out and take care of permitting and most of it but my brother has some plumbing experience so we were hoping to have him do the plumbing." Never ask them to use your cousin the electrician
- "We're just getting bids right now to see how we can get the best price." Never tell them you are going to select the lowest bid
Read on for the mindset switch you'll need to communicate well with your contractor.
Never Ask Them To Give You A Free Bid
Firstly, here's the situation with remodeling. Remodeling companies, Teknik included, are like a conductor leading the orchestra. Each musician plays a different role but they are all tuned in to the conductor. The musicians play beautiful music because of accurate, in sync, harmonious coordination of all parties as they follow one leader.
Secondly, this is the essence of remodeling as an art, not just a science. In order to execute a remodel with harmony, there are myriad systems that must already be in place so that all your materials are installed on time and without issue.
In conclusion, estimates produced by any company similar to ours, cannot be free to you as the home owner because they are not free to produce. We write each estimate customized around each detail of your entire project. This is in sharp contrast to the industry "free bids" produced by Joe in a Pickup who took a few measurements during his first site visit.
If you would like to read a few reviews to see how home owners experience our estimates and our process, click here.
Shouldn't all bids be free? Well, let's define some terms:
- First, the ballpark price range. Don't confuse a ballpark price range with a legitimate bid or estimate. Many contractors will discuss, but not commit to, a general ballpark price range during the first site visit. This is merely to assess compatibility of each party, and to make sure that it makes sense to move forward together.
- Second, the bid. This term is widely used, misunderstood, and confused with other terms. The world of commercial and multi-family construction usually build a set of plans, a.k.a. construction documents and then "put it out to bid" so that multiple builders can provide their prices. But this term has unfortunately crept into custom residential remodeling and it has no home here.
- Third, the estimate. More specifically, a detailed line-item estimate. This is the complete description of your project in long sentence format that will include descriptions of labor, materials, product specs, and the price. A true detailed line-item estimate is the product of dozens of hours of collaboration, and multiple revisions. This process is going to be one of two things: it's going to be sold to you as "free" or it's going to be legitimate. It will not be both.
So, never ask a design-build firm to give you a free bid. The intension is legitimate, but the requested document does not exist for free. Check out this video that describes the bathroom remodel process and how costs can change throughout!
Never Ask Them To Use Your Cousin The Electrician
When you hire us, we will be putting our license on the line, so it makes sense for us be protective of it. Unless your cousin is a licensed electrician and willing to sign a subcontractor agreement, it's not likely we will use them.
Additionally, we have established relationships with our own subcontractors, should we need one for your job.
Thirdly, we will be trying to complete your job with the highest level of efficiency and coordinating with new people impairs efficiency. Impaired efficiency leads to more labor costs, which will drive the price up. Trying to save money this way would be a wash at best.
Stick with us and our team of pros and see how it turns out!
Take It From Our Happy Customers
"Kevin had the work done as if it were his own house and the project was completed before the contractual completion date." - Jack B., San Diego, CA
“This is our second remodel with Kevin. Once again, done on TIME! Great job! Just sorry we’re out of bathrooms! 🙂 He’s on speed dial in case we have another project.” - Gary G., Encinitas
“Kevin told me to allow 25 days and it was done in just over two weeks.” - Gina H., San Diego, CA
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!
Never Tell Them You Are Going To Choose The Lowest Bid
First, of all, if you're attempting a fix n' flip, then we're not a good fit for you.
Second, when love your house and you are looking to stay, it makes sense to prioritize quality and relationship first...you can value engineer with the firm that you know delivers quality with a solid relationship.
Additionally, if you prioritize price above all else, then you'll attract the wrong type of company...much like a poor date, and the consequence will be inability or unwillingness to prioritize your needs.
In conclusion, if you prioritize price above all else, then you'll also scare away quality contractors because they wont want to invest valuable collaboration, knowing that you're going to automatically select the lowest bidder rather than doing your due diligence to find the best fit.
Why Choose Teknik for Your San Diego Remodel?
Let us be your guide as you strive to avoid the blunders that make our industry look bad. When you work with us, we help you avoid:
Still apprehensive about calling? You'll be 100% protected with our Spoiled Rotten Customer Guarantee.
Step 1: Dream Design
We’ll collaborate with you to transform your dark and outdated space into bright and inviting space. It all starts with your free consultation so book now!
Step 2: True Quote
You can trust our service agreement! We get to know your home intimately before working on it to ensure we stick to budget with no change orders.
Step 3: Complete On-Time
We'll make your dream come true and do it on-time and on budget! Then it's party time! Perhaps leave out your friends who get jealous easily.
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!