Welcome to our page and welcome to the biggest undertaking of 2022, should you choose to embark on this adventure!
There is a lot of information available online, so it can be difficult to discern who is telling the truth and who just wants you in their sales funnel.
Our goal with this website and article is to help you understand, specifically, what it takes to execute a clear strategy so you can have a successful kitchen remodel, on budget and on schedule.
In this article you will find:
- Your 2022 kitchen remodel planning & design
- Your kitchen remodel construction timeline
- Choosing the right company - a design-build firm
- What are the kitchen remodel tips & tricks we recommend?
If you've been planning on a kitchen remodel for a while, you'll want honest and thorough input to get you started.
Well, not to worry! In this article, we'll share an honest and thorough take on kitchen remodels, so you can know what to keep in mind along the way!
Read on to prepare for your San Diego kitchen remodel fully grounded in reality!
Your 2022 Kitchen Remodel Planning & Design
Our design team will eliminate the clutter by clearing your path and guiding you through design options, layout, selections, colors, and interior decorating decisions.
Every quality process takes time, and it's normal for a full kitchen design process to take several weeks; usually between four and eight weeks. So, buckle in and enjoy the ride!
The Teknik team and home owner lean on each other to expedite what we can. But the party remaining outside of our control is the city's permitting department.
Whether we are pulling a permit in the City of Carlsbad, City of Encinitas, City of San Diego, or Del Mar, each office has been understaffed due to social distancing restrictions, and back-logged due to increased numbers of remodels.
Permits are currently taking several weeks longer than usual, so remember that this will impact your projects' start date.
How long does permitting take in San Diego? It varies from city to city (Del Mar being the longest), but over the counter permits can be obtained in as little as two to three weeks. Most combination permits (which is what most kitchens require) are taking three to five months.
Your Kitchen Remodel Construction Timeline
The saving grace! When you've gone through our process fully, you'll be prepared for every aspect of your remodel from demolition to finishes and the punch list!
If permitting was the bad news, then construction is the good news because 75% of Teknik projects are completed on time or early. Most kitchen renovations take eight to sixteen weeks, so you'll hear "a few weeks" or "a few months" from most contractors you ask.
Multiple times per week, you will receive real-time updates on your smart phone. These updated will include daily logs, progress photos, comments, requests for information (RFI's), and answers to all your questions. Receiving customizable updates is a part of why our home owners love the Perfect Remodel Process.
Are you looking for a firm who can provide thorough documentation of your project, especially when you're not home? Ask about our client-facing project profile software today, so you can see what yours would look like!
If you have questions about kitchen remodel costs, even if its a part of your larger home remodel plan, check out our Kitchens page.
Take It From Our Happy Customers
"Kevin had the work done as if it were his own house and the project was completed before the contractual completion date." - Jack B., San Diego, CA
“This is our second remodel with Kevin. Once again, done on TIME! Great job! Just sorry we’re out of bathrooms! 🙂 He’s on speed dial in case we have another project.” - Gary G., Encinitas
“Kevin told me to allow 25 days and it was done in just over two weeks.” - Gina H., San Diego, CA
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!
Choosing the Right Kitchen Company - A Design-Build Firm
You have options in today's marketplace so you can interview and choose any of the following:
- A material installer general contractor; "You find and order your stuff and I'll have my guys install it for you, so I'm less money".
- A design & project management firm with a general contractors license: "We do it all for you, A to Z, but we take a large markup and subcontract 100% of our work to other smaller companies.". Look for this in large multi-generational firms.
- A licensed general contractor with a design-build model and a firm process: "Here is what the design process, permitting process and construction process all look like in terms of time and cost. Here is how we can make these dreams on your list come true with the budget you provided, so when would you like to get started?"
The best remodeling contractors available in our industry are marked by responsiveness, competency and transparency.
Equally important as finding the right fit is to acknowledge that the other two options are great business models for some.
Our experience tells us that the third type of company (firms like Teknik) provide the best experience to the homeowner, so we recommend sticking close to the design-build model.
Next, you'll need to start gathering companies to interview. For this process, we recommend creating an account on houzz.com, referenced below.
What Are the Kitchen Remodel Tips & Tricks We Recommend?
There are three things we recommend for our kitchen remodeling families, so check these out!
- Again, go to Houzz.com to create an account. Next create an Ideabook. Then, fill that Ideabook with looks, materials, and layouts that you and your partner can agree on. Finally, this vital design preparation will serve you well and make next steps much easier! Preparation equals separation.
- Go to Angi.com to find reliable reviews left for contractors over time. These reviews along with those found on Google & Yelp tend to be the most reliable. Additionally, if you're looking for a hyper-local app to use, check out Nextdoor.com to see what your neighbors thing or who they've hired recently.
- Finally, visit build.com and build.com/appliances to jump start your selections and get an idea of ETAs. If you tentatively select your kitchen appliances and plumbing fixtures, you'll be better prepared to have a conversation about your budget and investment goals. Next, you can print to PDF and share with your contractor or design-build team, or share it with us!
- For more tips, you'll have to call 858-775-7628 and see if you're eligible for one of our free consultations! Call NOW!
Furthermore, to read about the progression in overall kitchen renovation costs or about the average kitchen remodel cost, check out this Encinitas Kitchen Remodel article.
Why Choose Teknik for Your 2022 Kitchen Remodel?
Finally, Let us be your small kitchen remodel guide as you strive to avoid the blunders that make our industry look bad. When you work with us, we help you avoid:
Still apprehensive about calling? You'll be 100% protected with our Spoiled Rotten Customer Guarantee.
Step 1: Dream Design
We’ll collaborate with you to transform your dark and outdated space into bright and inviting space. It all starts with your free consultation so book now!
Step 2: True Quote
You can trust our service agreement! We get to know your home intimately before working on it to ensure we stick to budget with no change orders.
Step 3: Complete On-Time
We'll make your dream come true and do it on-time and on budget! Then it's party time! Perhaps leave out your friends who get jealous easily.
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!