Hey, if you’re a San Diego homeowner and wondering if it's possible to plan for your 2020 or 2021 kitchen remodel, you're not the only one who's asking. These are some of the questions that our families have been texting and emailing us since the quarantine was ordered on March 19th:
- how can I do more of my research on the front end?
- how can I get more done before site visits?
- how can I take all the safety precautions during a site visit?
- how can I ensure I like my materials if I'm selecting them online?
- as a contractor, how would you shop for a contractor?
Boy, do we know how it feels to be in the midst of the global Coronavirus pandemic and be unsure how to navigate. We are in this together. None of us have ever been here before. At Teknik Design & Remodeling, we've stayed lean and nimble so that when times get tough....really REALLY tough, we are still able to help folks get their essential home functions put back together so they can take care of their family.
We have been chipping away at our process, eliminating inefficiencies, and narrowing our focus for over a decade so that we can get your work completed with safety and speed. Now, with social distancing, shelter in place, and all businesses closed except for essential services, we are glad that we have! We are ready.
Read on. You’re in the perfect place!
In this article, we’ll answer the five questions above so you can make a great decision about your kitchen planning for you and your family.
How Can I Do More Research On The Front End?
Using Home Advisor Resources
HomeAdvisor.com is a wonderful resource for San Diego home owners. Their catch phrase is "Don't Overpay, Compare Pros!" This has lead some readers to believe that they will be able to see how much their project may cost, right there on their screen, before they have to interact with any contractors. Nope!
The method that homeadvisor.com uses so you can compare pros is to have you fill out their form by answering basic questions about the work you'd like done so they can share your information with four different contractors.
Each of the four then has the opportunity to reach out to you, and you can work with each to go through their estimating process. For helpful info on how to select a contractor, see the final two paragraphs in this article.
Using Houzz.com Ideabooks For Your Finish Materials
Here at Teknik, we love having our clients save time during the design and planning process by gaining clarity using the Houzz.com Ideabook feature.
- Create a Houzz.com account.
- Hover over the "My Account" button on the top-right of your screen
- Click on My Ideabooks
- Create a new one and choose a name
Finally, use the search bar to find photos that you love! You may find your cabinet style, tile, plumbing, flooring, and light fixtures. Ensure that you make notes under each photo to specify which features you've noticed in each photo. When you select your contractor, you can share it with them on houzz.com and eliminate two to five hours from your discussion process 🙂 Preserve your energy. What a WIN!
How Can I Get More Done Before My Site Visit?
The site visit is no substitution for doing your due diligence online. By the time you schedule your site visit you have already verified that the contractor:
- Is licensed, bonded, and ensured. Verify here https://www.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CheckLicense.aspx
- Is in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. Verify here http://bbb.com/
- Has been recently engaged in other projects in the community. Verify on their website or social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, and Houzz. Remember, most contractors are pretty small businesses, so it's okay if there aren't lots of recent updates. You just want to make sure they have been active!
- Is receiving a good proportion of recent 5-star reviews. Are they leaving their clients satisfied customers or raving fans? Are they being invited back to complete a second or third project?
Construction has changed a lot in light of keeping our communities safe and slowing the spread of COVID-19. We are all working hard so that you and your families avoid exposure at all costs.
The primary purpose of a site visit was to build friendship and trust. But in light of the social distancing rules in place, much of the conversation that builds this connection can happen over a zoom meeting or on a conference call. Remember, the content of the conversation will include project details, but the substance of the conversation is to see if a friendship and trust can be built.
It is only after you have grown somewhat comfortable that you will be able to share your target budget range or inquiries about special customization. If you connect well, and share ideas easily, then you are on your way to uncovering if it makes sense to partner up on your remodeling project. All this can happen before a site visit is scheduled - hooray!
How Can I Take More Safety Precautions During My Site Visit?
- We interview every person every day to ensure there are no symptoms
- We wear masks
- We ask that you wear masks
- We sanitize and wash our hands continuously
- We sanitize and wash our tools and gear continuously
- We ask that if it's possible, the home or that area of the home be empty during and after our site visit
- Whenever possible, we construct a containment & sanitation area to keep the area in question sealed off.
We call and text multiple times to confirm all is well. We ask that all parties are fearless and proactive in their communication of any need to reschedule the site visit.
Take It From Our Happy Customers
"Kevin had the work done as if it were his own house and the project was completed before the contractual completion date." - Jack B., San Diego, CA
“This is our second remodel with Kevin. Once again, done on TIME! Great job! Just sorry we’re out of bathrooms! 🙂 He’s on speed dial in case we have another project.” - Gary G., Encinitas
“Kevin told me to allow 25 days and it was done in just over two weeks.” - Gina H., San Diego, CA
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!
How Do I Know I Will Like My Materials If I'm Selecting Online?
You can actually follow our process and get your materials in your house after all!
- Our designers will help you to create a short list of favorite products online
- We will order samples for pickup
- We will deliver them to your home. If you prefer to pick them up, we can arrange for that too
- You get to decide on your favorite selections
- If it is both essential and safe, we will schedule only one site visit to
- confirm scope
- demo & discovery
- obtain measurement for quantity
- Our designer will confirm that you still love the materials you’ve selected
As A Contractor, How Would You Shop For A Contractor?
And how can I have fewer or only ONE in my home?
The following is how we as a contractor would search for our own contractor.
You'll see the first column is what was common before the Coronavirus Pandemic. The second column is what we recommend so that you can minimize or eliminate your contact with other people and get work accomplished in the midst of social distancing.
The Teknik Perfect Remodel Process has always been true to what you'll see below in the column on the right. It has always been in the best interest of the homeowner. But now it is non-negotiable.
Selecting the Right Contractor | Process Overview
Living on The Other Guy's Timeline
- Call 3 to 5 contractors
- Schedule as many as 5 site visits
- Get an estimate from each
- Compare each and select your contractor--the nice guy who doesn't have the cheapest price or the most expensive one.
- Hope for no change orders
- Hope for no delays or surprises
Living on The Teknik Timeline
- Call 3 to 5 contractors
- Intentionally qualify each over the phone considering character, integrity, experience, and follow-up.
- Schedule a site visit with only your top 1 or 2 and get a ballpark range from each based on pictures and experience.
- Select your contractor
- Follow the remote process to collaborate on a design, layout, and scope that you love. This collaboration will produce your detailed estimate, or Teknik True Quote. Yes, this price will fall within the initial ballpark, unless the scope is increased.
- Complete your project on time!
Why choose Teknik for Your 2020 or 2021 Kitchen Remodel?
Folks, if your remodel can wait, we recommend that you wait for the safety of everyone. This COVID-19 pandemic is real, dangerous and should be taken seriously, despite some still treating it too casually.
If you feel that the time is now for your kitchen to be restored to it's required functionality and safety, then we are your best option for a smooth, safe, and honest remodel.
Please call our office today at 858-775-7628. Ask for the Office Manager to walk you through our initial questions to get to know your project. Ask our team members to share with you how we have been helping homeowners in San Diego avoid these three industry blunders for over 20 years:
Our Three Step Perfect Remodel Process worked before COVID-19 and it still works today. Let's get going on remote-collaboration so that when the time comes, you're all set to go. Can't wait to see your dreams come true.
We’ll collaborate with you to transform your dark and outdated space into bright and inviting space. It all starts with your free consultation so book now!
You can trust our service agreement! We get to know your home intimately before working on it to ensure we stick to budget with no change orders.
We'll make your dream come true and do it on-time and on budget! Then it's party time! Perhaps leave out your friends who get jealous easily.
Call (888) 747-2013 or click here for a free consultation now!